Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hall Pass Schmall Pass

I saw the preview for this movie -- Hall Pass -- a few months ago in the theater and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Now it is out in the theaters and I hear people saying how funny it was.
To summarize, a wife gives her husband a "Hall Pass" defined as: a week to mess around with any woman that he wants to with no questions asked. She does this to save the "restlessness" of their marriage. Huh?

Maybe I am jaded-or taking this too seriously because I have seen too many marriages that I thought would last forever break up with infidelity as the cause. Mainly in my generation. Every time this happens to a friend..or someone that I knew I am completely devastated and it breaks my heart!

Can someone please explain to me why this movie was so attractive?

I know that one of the trends in this day and age is to daydream of a place we could never go, but want to go. Then make it happen in movies, magazines, or television, or even places (like Las Vegas, resorts, hotels, bars, etc). So is this where we want to go? A meaningless place with the lack of old hollywood romance, or class?

Movies are known to start trends. If this movie is part of the trend of it being okay for your significant other to give you a "hall pass" for a week.. what is going to happen to the next generation?'

Will marriage even exist?

Not even saying that marriage has to exist for life to be great-and if it isn't for you, then that's cool.

I am a firm believer that you only get married if you know it's going to last and if you have passion behind it.
Just like you would have passion for anything else in life-travel, your career, etc.

But what about people like my grandparents-who I look through old scrapbooks of sweet classic valentines..and know that they stayed together through thick and thin for 60 years?

Sure, maybe they flirted with other people but it was in a joking, sweet and non harmful way.

What does it say for the future generation if something as beautiful .. but serious.. as marriage is trashed publicly again and again?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete