Sunday, November 28, 2010

The 7 Year Itchy-ness.

I want to call it the "7 year itch."
Because seven years ago my bags were packed..I was ready to go-to start a new life in California. I was 24 years old, and the world was my oyster. I "created" my life, and everything seemed like a dream.

Seven years before that my bags were packed..I was graduating high school and moving out of the house to start a new life in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I was so sweet and passionate about my dreams. I couldn't wait to see what it was like to be a grown up!

Now here I am, seven years later. I am 31 years old, and it seems that time has hit the hold button.
But my very motivated self is desperate to find an open door and go for it.
I am impatient, and I want things to start happening now! I want my dreams to come alive.
The ones I had when I was six. Or thirteen. Or eighteen-when I graduated from high school.
I keep talking to God, asking him what he wants for me. Every night that is my main question to him.

I know a lot of friends that are going through some kind of mid-life crisis right now too.
The majority of these people are women!
They are either facing a divorce, questioning their current "status" in life, asking what their purpose is, trying their hardest not to make impulse decisions.

And they are all turning 30..or 31.

But wait a minute? Doesn't the mid life crisis visit much later? Like when we are 45 or 50?
And isn't it a little less serious--like buying a trendy new car, botox, or wearing a scarf under our chin to lift our loose neck skin?

I just read Eat Pray Love..and watched the movie.
I noticed that Elizabeth Gilbert was 31 when she escaped to "find" what she didn't expect in Italy, India, and Bali. 

What is it about being 31 that creates this mid-life crisis?
I don't recall my mom's generation ever saying that they experienced this desperation after exiting their twenties.  It's like a desperation to be independent, successful, unconventional, or just to find pure freedom & happiness.

I don't have any real solution for this. So I guess it is more of a question.
What is going on with my generation that we have a mid-life crisis at 31? ♥

1 comment:

  1. Interesting insight. I think 25-50 years ago this happened at 20...the crystallization phase of development. Good luck in your adventures. Crystals can easily be broken.

    ReplyDelete